Oh my goodness, oh my goodness, oh my goodness!! My excitement is off the charts right now. I can make our own Vegemite!!! It’s Gluten Free, It’s Oh. So. Tasty. It’s Healthy (!!) and it tastes better than the real thing.
For those who aren’t Australian, you might not get my excitement right now. That’s ok. I’m sorry for you. Vegemite is the stuff many of us grow up on here. It’s salty, with the right amount of butter it’s creamy, and it’s addictive. In fact, it’s one of the things Mr Incredible has missed most about not being able to eat wheat – the store bought replacements are very ordinary – one of them smelt so bad I wanted to puke whenever he opened the jar.
Now though, HOOORAY! With 4 ingredients we can make the stuff at home. Stoked.
The ingredients is thanks to this post on Thermomix’s recipe community.
- 70 grams Black Tahini Paste or black sesame seeds
- 50 grams tamari sauce
- 5 grams Nutritional Yeast Flakes, or 1 Tablespoon
- 5 grams apple cider vinegar, or 1 teaspoon (I use Braggs)
- If you are using black sesame seeds, mill them until they become a paste
- Add all ingredients to Thermomix mixing bowl (or a high speed blender) and mix for 20 seconds at speed 3. Scrape down and repeat.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge.